Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Last Saturday, a group of women who are also Luther students perform Eve Ensler's The Vagina Monologues in order to raise money and awareness for abused women. At first, I wasn't sure how this shocking and powerful performance of a rather risque work was related to education, and then I realized that education doesn't always have to do with music in the k-12 public school system. Sometimes, education can have to do with things that I learned, or things that people in general learned. I think both are true of the performance of the Vagina Monologues. Although I was shocked by some of the colorful things that were said, I learned a lot, especially about the shocking rate of abuse among women. I'm sure that no one in the audience went away thinking that they had known everything that had been presented. Education sometimes shows itself in situations like this that were educational in that they were meant to raise awareness. It really got me thinking about how broad education really is.

No comments: