Friday, February 16, 2007

People teach for a lot of different reasons. The whole "Those who can't do, teach" stigma gives teachers kind of a bad name. But I know many people who CAN do who WANT to teach. That's why I'm in this business. I want to teach. I've had so many good teachers who have helped make me the person I am today, and I want to have an impact on someone's life in the same way. There are a lot of different attributes for good teachers. I think among the most important are patience and understanding. Not all students are going to have the same abilities and interests, and it's such a hard balance to strike. Teachers want to challenge the strongest students without leaving the weakest in the dust. How do you do that? And how do we most effectively learn? Do we need to have work to learn? I don't think so, although it is important to reinforce learning in some way. So when does work become "busy work?" Of course, as teachers, we want students to get the most out of our subject as we can, but we can't overwhelm them. Again, we need to strike a balance. And that's something we figure out the more we teach. As teachers, we never stop learning. And I think that's so cool.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Totally agree with you on that one. Teachers are societies consistent learners, and we are teaching/developing the future of the world. With out teachers society would be nowhere.